Sunday 2 August 2020

What next?

The Fox appeared. He isn’t feeling well. He’s dizzy. He feels feverish, alternating between burning hot & sweaty and shivering with cold & clammy. He’s shaking like a leaf. He tries to pick up a mug of tea but he is shaking so much that even with both hands he can’t get it to his lips without spilling it all over him. We check his temperature – normal. He decides to go back to bed.

 

By dinner time I check how he’s feeling. How about some food or drink? A glass of water perhaps, but by now he’s feeling nauseous as well. I leave food, thinking I can always put together a salad later if he feels up to it or if I’m eating alone.

 

By the evening he’s no better. We have a look on line on symptoms of coronavirus. It doesn’t seem to fit him, more likely stress. And he certainly has cause for stress with me having my fourth episode of cancer & this time they think it is probably only palliative care that can be offered.

 

Eventually I ring 111. I try the number for coronavirus. The lady we spoke to concluded it wasn’t obviously coronavirus & thought I should speak to their clinician. The clinician decided he ought to speak to their doctor. Her conclusion is that it sounded like some sort of virus & the Fox ought to arrange a coronavirus test on the off chance it is that.

 

While all this was happening I had hastily made a salad for me just in case we ended up rushing into to A&E, although that sounded unlikely.

 

Now we wait to see what happens next. Can I go down to Manchester for my appointment with the surgeon? And if so how will I get there if the Fox is too unwell to drive me there? Should I cancel the hotel reservation? My stepbrother has already phoned to cancel our meal with him & his wife. We had arranged to ring him when we were arrived in Manchester & see if by then they had come up with another suggestion. In the intervening time they’re going to see if they can find a restaurant or pub where we can sit at next door tables & chat. Or alternatively, if it’s dry & warm, we could maybe have a picnic in a park. They’ll see what they can sort out.

 

At least yesterday the Fox was able to do his Sherlock act & find the street map of Manchester, so we should be able to locate the hospital & hotel, as well as any restaurant, pub or park my stepbrother may suggest.

No comments: