Saturday 8 August 2020

Self-invited

We went along to the club yesterday. None of our friends turned up, for the second time running. However, we did enjoy some bacon butties – the first time since March!

 

Come the evening we rang up our friends to check all was well.

 

The first friend sounded depressed. Life has so changed with this virus he’s not sure he sees the point of going on. He’s in his 80s. He has had a tough few years of late, becoming a wheelchair user, having a leg amputated, and that on top of a couple of heart attacks. He now feels off colour but as I say, he sounded depressed to Dr Vixen here. I tried to at least get him to chuckle a bit & hopefully feel a bit more positive.

 

I then rang another of our friends. He & his partner hadn’t gone to the club as they’d thought we were in Manchester. I assure him we weren’t. He instantly suggested we came round for fish & chips lunch in her garden. When I refused that, he invited themselves round to our place this afternoon. He was not taking no as an answer. He’d bring lager (for his consumption during his non-drinking dry spell!), cakes or other nibbles & flowers (for me). So suddenly we’re entertaining today. We were to let our friend’s partner know what he’s decided. As she was out with the wife of the first depressed friend I also asked her to pass on the invite to them too.

 

Fortunately it looks as though the heat wave may have arrived. The sun is shining very brightly this morning. I’ve got some extra chairs & cushions out ready for our visitors. I’ve popped some prosecco in the fridge to celebrate seeing our friends again.

 

We have a pizza in the freezer we could easily get out & cook from frozen. Cut up into small pieces that will do for nibbles. We have some crisps & quavers in anyhow. As for our dinner, I was going to make a quick curry which didn’t need any preparation. Now, I seem to remember we have a potato topped fish pie which we could cook from frozen if I don’t feel like making the curry. Mind you, if we’re having pizza & cakes mid-afternoon, I suspect we might prefer just beans on toast instead.

 

No comments: