Wednesday 3 June 2020

Treatment

Another day, another trip to Preston. So far the actual treatment seems to be going alright. I don’t seem to be having adverse effects any more this time than I did three years ago. Between us we’re obviously doing a good job of moisturising my shoulder.

 

What gets to me is that the waiting area is virtually empty. And yet I end up waiting half an hour plus before actually getting into the treatment room. I could understand the wait three years ago when the waiting area was heaving with people. I appreciate they probably are cleaning down all the surfaces, particularly of the bed you lie on for treatment, between patients but even so, they should surely have taken that into account in arranging the times for the appointments. Is it a case of, as the radiologists aren’t under such pressure, they’re slowing down their pace of working?

 

The other thing that amazes me is just how few people there are in the waiting area. As I say, three years ago the place was heaving with patients & their carers. Now there is maybe a half dozen people at most. I know carers aren’t generally allowed in - the Fox is allowed in as I’m a wheelchair user & there is no way I can tell him I’m ready for collection (the car park is up the hill & there are no benches just outside for him to sit on while he waited). And I certainly can't push myself up that hill if the Fox can't.

 

What has happened to those other patients? Surely the numbers of people getting cancer hasn’t reduced dramatically because of the virus? Or are the patients too scared of the virus to attend the hospital? I can’t believe my need for radiotherapy was so crucial others should be denied it, especially when I know some forms of cancer are just treated by radiotherapy.

No comments: