Saturday 13 June 2020

Back again

One day last week, we came home to see a bird of prey sitting on our lawn with what looked like a collared dove in its talons. The dove continued to wriggle. The bird of prey readjusted its grip. I suspect it was a young bird of prey & hadn’t quite worked out how to kill its victim. Eventually the dove escaped – or so I assumed as there was no sign of a carcase & I never saw the bird ripping at the flesh. The bird of prey, I suspect a young peregrine falcon, flew off into one of our neighbour’s tree. There was instant panic among the magpies that flew noisily out.

 

Since then the small birds have disappeared from our garden once more. The bigger birds, the magpies, blackbirds, woodpigeons & collared doves alone have visited.

 

It therefore gave me great pleasure yesterday to venture into the kitchen & hear cheeping. There, on the bird feeder, were 4 sparrows. They were back again this morning. The odd starling has appeared during the day. The seed we put out for them has gone again. I think they’re getting over the fright of last week & once more return to visit.

No comments: