Thursday 10 February 2011

An unexpected visitor

The Fox decides to open the back door. I'm busy cooking & it's getting steamy. He goes to kick the leaf off the top step, when the leaf jumps over his foot into the kitchen. It's a frog! We then spend the next few minutes trying to encourage him back out of the door. He, of course, heads for the hinge side. Eventually I manage to scoop him into my hands while the Fox opens the door wider. I open my hands & the frog leaps through the air. Soon he is disappearing among the bags of  pebbles & slate for a breather before venturing further into the garden.

This little frog certainly has quite a kick. I felt the force of it in my hands. The frog had to have got up a couple of steps, each several inches deep, before it had even got to the top step in the first place. We were surprised to see this visitor so much on the move at this time of the year. We expect to find them on the step in summer, but in Feb!

Our appreciation of wildlife was further increased with watching "Madagascar" on BBC2 last night. The range of terrain & weird wildlife that produces was vast for such a small area of land. I loved watching the lemurs leaping around, with their tails held high. Beautiful!

No comments: