Wednesday 16 February 2011

A good trip

I couldn't resist having a break from the consultation document to tell you about my wonderful trip out on my Mean Machine, electric scooter. As so often, I was off to the fish shop &, as usual, I went along the prom.

As I approached the prom the first thing that struck me was the number of dogs, all accompanied by plastic bag carrying owners. Balls flew in all directions. Some dogs gamboled in the shallow water of the slowly ebbing tide.

I continued on. As I passed one stone jetty, I was surprised by the sheer number of birds. The waders were out in force scooping up any food left on land or in the last bits of water. First there was a flock of black and white birds - oystercatchers, too busy fishing to stop to make their high-pitched piping. As they ended, a flock of tall brown waders, curlews I suspect, did their hunting. Between their bony legs a flock of smaller birds, knots I think, scampered. On the damp sands were the gulls.

On I went, bought my smoked haddock, then returned back along the prom. By this time the water was much further out. I couldn't help noticing how many runners & cyclists were passing, headphones in their ears. I wouldn't want to do that. Apart from the fact I find headphones irritate my ears, to miss nature's sounds would be such a loss. I could hear the whistle of the wind, the gently lapping of water on the sands, the calls of the birds from the piping of the oystercatchers to the raucous screams of the gulls, the cheery greetings of my fellow prom users.

I continued along to the doctor's as far on the other side of us as the fish shop is on one side. I stayed on the prom more or less to its end. At this end of the prom, the cliffs give way to open fields, usually inhabited by a horse or two. By this time the fishers had largely moved off. The oystercatchers had moved into the fields on the land side of the prom. Presumably worms etc making a tasty alternative after the more salty fare they'd just had.

Eventually I reached home. my fingers were frozen, despite wearing my gloves all the time. I was ready to put my hands around a nice hot mug of tea. It had been enjoyable trip, even if cold. 

As for the smoked haddock that made, along with a little smoked salmon, a thoroughly enjoyable, moist, tasty,smoked fish tart for our dinner treat.

No comments: