Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Norman castle

As usual last night, I put the radio on while I tried to drift off to sleep. It was mid-programme. Suddenly my ears pricked up.

It was talking about a medieval castle in excellent condition which is still being used as a prison, a castle that still dominates the city in which it stands. I instantly found myself thinking about our local castle in Lancaster. 

The programmes went on to describe the Wiches' Well and the contrast between the prison conditions for those women and for today's inmates. Still no place was mentioned. Now I thought of the Witches of Pendle Hill who were imprisoned, tried and ultimately executed at Lancaster Castle.


We went on to the cell where George Fox of Quaker fame was incarcerated for a time. Definitely sounding like Lancaster, I thought.

Next we were told of the large well inside the building. Still, today, it holds gallons of water. It was tested a few years ago and was found to have a high level of purity, definitely drinkable. I couldn't help thinking such a well was essential in medieval times, when people could end up being besieged in the castle for long spells. I'm still thinking of Lancaster.

The castle in question holds a law court still in use today. By now I was convinced it must be Lancaster castle. At last I was told I was correct.


These days part of the castle is open to tourists. Indeed the Fox did work as a guide there for a bit. 


I gather it is intended that this Norman castle should finally cease to be a prison in the near soon. One comment at the end of the programme caught my ear. Because the castle was leased as a prison, it apparently ensured that the castle has been kept in a good state of renovation over the years. The prison service is obliged to ensure it remains secure - they don't want prisoners escaping - & so they have always maintained it well. Whether someone else will be able to afford to maintain it as well is debatable.The council is clearly hoping to make it much more of a tourist attraction when it ceases to be a prison, to make it much more a part of the life of the city. 

Most locals have never visited the castle, just seen it from the outside like me. Needless to say it's not very wheelchair accessible, so when we had a French friend staying with us, the Fox took him around while I visited the nearby Priory Church. Our friend was amazed to discover the castle was built by Roger of Poitou. His father is called Roger and Roger comes from Poitou. It became the in family joke!

The programme by the way was "Within These Walls" on Radio 4, starting at 11pm.


Lancaster Castle main gate


Shire Hall court Lancaster Castle
                                                                             

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

as I didn't hear the programme, it was good to read (and be reminded) of some of the castle's history. rewally enjoyed the post.