Saturday 9 May 2020

Still cheering


I keep thinking I will soon be on top of my freezer list. There will be nothing that is over a year old or beyond the date on the pack. I’ve been using up since before the shutdown. There is now a gaping hole where the meat usually goes. And yet still I’m using up from April 2019.

It is partly the fact the Fox has decided to go back to buying fresh ingredients for his midweek cook. I long for that idea. It would be wonderful to do something more original, but still the list goes on.

I only have one item for April left & then two for May. In theory I should be on top of things after next week. However, I suspect by then I will have heard about when the radiotherapy will begin & then it will have to be fast food, salads possibly, with difficulty finding the time to even do the shopping. Admittedly, at present with the virus, the Fox won’t be able to enter the unit so he may possibly pop to the smallish supermarket across the road while I’m being treated. We’ll see.

Meanwhile I’m still rejoicing about having some plain flour. I can now understand the exhilaration people must have felt during the years of rationing during the Second World War & into the early fifties, when they found an orange, or even a real egg (as opposed to the dried) for sale.

No comments: