Friday 1 May 2020

Odd weather


Yesterday was a strange day weather-wise.

Around midday I went out to the freezer to get some things out for dinner. As I went from the back door to the laundry room door, I felt the rain seemed particularly hard. As I closed the door behind me, I could see little piles of hailstones collecting under the shelter of the walls.

I then had a rummage in the freezer when a sudden clap of thunder roared above me. Soon there was a flash of lightning. Still the hail fell.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched hail fall in a thunderstorm before. It’s usually heavy rain. The hail continued as I returned into the house.

And yet, early in the afternoon the sky was clear blue & everything seemed settled for quiet.

As usual on a Thursday night we ventured out to clap for the NHS & its workers. By then, 8pm, it was definitely cold. The wiser amongst us had put on thick winter-weight coats. It certainly wasn’t conducive to spending too long outside. Still it was good to see so many of our neighbours are keeping well. Long may it continue.

No comments: