Monday 25 May 2020

Chicken mad


We seem to have gone chicken mad. Last Friday the Fox made some Italian Chicken Parcels, which I followed on Saturday with Korean Pulled Chicken Nachos. In both cases we used chicken breasts, though I spiced mine up considerably. Now, today, I’m having a go at Chicken & Celeriac Shawarma. Again chicken breasts, again well spiced. During the week to come the Fox is intending to make an Italian chicken casserole, for once with thighs, & I have in mind a Chicken Lasagne & a Chicken and Vegetable Pie, both using up leftover roast chicken. We’ll soon be growing feathers at this rate.

I’m telling myself that chicken is a lean healthy meat to eat. It’s so versatile, absorbing other flavours so well, that each meal will taste different. I suspect, though, we will appreciate the pork we’re having tomorrow all the more as we did the kippers we had yesterday.

It never ceases to amaze me how we seem to be obsessed by a particular ingredient without even realising we’re doing it as we plan the week’s food ahead. The obsessions change. Last week we had a run of fish – fish fingers followed by smoked haddock followed by haddock. Other times it’s tomatoes with tomato sauces, baked beans or tinned tomato accompaniments. But for now it’s chicken.

No comments: