Friday 22 May 2020

Real gem of a shop


Opposite Preston Hospital there is a small Booth’s supermarket. After my tattooing session we popped into the shop in the hope of finding some of the things the Fox had been unable to find here in Morecambe & also to get some salad ingredients for a quick meal as it was a hot sunny day.

What a delight! We suddenly found ourselves able to get so many of the things we’ve sought for months. Here was plain flour – we got some to replace the bag our neighbour had given us. Then we noticed tins of corned beef & kippers in oil – the Fox will be able to make further Kipper & Egg Kedgerees. The deli counter had some beautiful looking ox tongue – we bought some for our salad – roast ham, roast chicken & turkey – perhaps for another salad. I even got soap – something the Fox has sought pretty well from when the shutdown started.

 Last night, at the weekly clap for the NHS we returned the flour to our neighbour. We also discovered another neighbour is desperate for strong flour for breadmaking. I know I’d seen plenty at Preston so next time we go, I offered to get some for her.

We can certainly see ourselves wanting to return to that shop regularly while I am receiving treatment. When I went 3 years ago, if I had a late appointment we could easily stop somewhere on the way home & eat out. That’s not possible now with this virus stalking the country. So I suspect it’s Booth’s & salads. Or perhaps a ready meal. They had a different selection there, including fresh slices of pies that needed just warming up, & meats etc. all marinated ready just to quickly warm up or stir fry, a bit like you find in a French butcher’s or charcuterie. It’s a real gem of a shop.


No comments: