Sunday 18 January 2009

An unexpected call

The view of Sydney from North Head


Dot at Dee Why

I'm late up this morning. It's already 9am. I'm just in the midst of getting changed. The phone rings. I hastily hobble out, grabbing my perch stool as I pass to sit down on. A strange voice asks if it's me. It turns out that it's a call from Australia!

When we visited Australia a few years ago, we'd done so in order to visit an old family friend, Nesta. While we were there we met her friends, Dot & Margo. Nesta unfortunately died last March. Dot rang to let us know. This Christmas we hesitantly sent a Xmas card to Dot & Margo. We weren't sure of their surnames, so we sent the card to Dot & Margo, friends of Nesta. We knew they lived in the same sheltered housing block, so even if we didn't know their flat numbers we just hoped the card would arrive. It did. This was them ringing to thank us & invite us to visit them if we're ever in Sydney again. It was lovely to hear from them. Margo's intending to write sometime soon.

We have warm memories of meeting them. Over the years Nesta had often written about them. When we went to visit Nesta in her home, we had a picnic lunch in the garden of the complex. Dot & Margo came too. A pleasant meal was had.

Later on during that holiday, Dot, the only driver & car owner, took Nesta & us out for a drive one afternoon. We had a fabulous time driving through the northern suburbs of Sydney, following the coastline as much as possible. We stopped for lunch at Dee Why & stopped at North Head, near Manly, to see the magnificent of view of Sydney Harbour & city centre before we were taken back to our hotel. It was a great day that will long remain in our memories.

It seems Dot & Margo, too, have such fond memories & are keen to keep up an acquaintanceship that may blossom into a friendship. It was good to hear from them, even if I did feel a bit of a fool with only one leg in my tights & no skirt on. At least, I'd got as far as a jumper so I was warm enough. Ever since, all morning, I've been going around with a song of joy in my heart.


No comments: