Sunday 25 January 2009

The birdwatch

Well I've done my birdwatch. Some changes have inevitably happened since I did it last year. I'm not sorry to see the disappearance of most of the feral pigeons - we were inundated with them when we first arrived. I'm sadder to see this year there seems to be fewer sparrows & great tits. But equally we have some new faces, eg a pair of greenfinches, & the return of some who've not been around for a few years like the little wren with its jaunty stick up tail. Above all I'm pleased with the steady growth in blackbirds. When we first moved here I was shocked by the absence of any blackbirds or thrushes, but my abolition of slug pellets & a bit of healthy neglect seems to have encouraged them to move in. These days we also seem to have gained gulls. This is largely because the tip a mile or so away has now been largely filled in & has started to be landscaped, so they're having to find new feeding places. I find it all very interesting & a reflection of the health of the garden. Now I've only got to send my results off to the RSPB.

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

At least this year was better - last year was a null return chez moi! I'm not sure just how useful these surveys are as, even on a better day, the results in many ways did not reflect the range and variety of visitors we have. The only common ground was the preponderance of starlings!

The Oxcliffe Fox said...

I agree to some extent. Since I did the survey & sent off the results, all sorts of other visitors have appeared, including the detested feral pigeons. I even commented as much to the RSPB to this effect one year. They said it didn't matter as the birds will be in a neighbouring garden & counted there, which, to my mind, would be fine if everyone counted. Unfortunately I doubt all my neighbours have been involved in the count. The Vixen.