Saturday 17 January 2009

Mosque visiting

I've switched off "Excess Baggage" on Radio 4. I made the effort to listen as it was partially about the pleasure of visiting mosques. I've never been to a mosque, but I'm anticipating maybe visiting one if we ever get on this holiday to the Far East. Brunei is a Muslim country. Bandar Seri Begawan, called locally BSB for obvious reasons, is the capital of this small country. The city is dominated by the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque. It sounds fabulous, an outstanding example of Islamic art. Certainly the exterior looks breathtaking with its circular lagoon surrounding it and its huge golden dome. It's reassuring to hear that non-Muslims are very welcome to visit. I shall make sure I take appropriate modest attire with me when we go on this holiday so as not to insult worshippers.

No comments: