Saturday 11 February 2012

Two bean or not two bean, that is the question

It's an easy morning for me today. I had thought I would have a lie-in this morning as there's nothing much that has to be done. Maybe I could even catch up on some of lost sleep & consequently feel less tired. Needless to say that means I was up not long after 8am. Typical!

A quick shower was next. Quick showers take at least half an hour these days but once in a while it has to be done. And I do feel fresher for the effort.

The Fox is in charge of dinner today. He's getting his trusty wok out for a quick stir-fry. The only thing I can do to help is slice up the chicken breast ready to be thrown in. That's now done.

The recipe he's intending to do is called Chicken & Two Bean Stir Fry. This sounds like a misnomer to me. As far as I can see the two beans are some French beans & some mangetout or sugarsnap peas. (We're using garden peas as neither of us have much enthusiasm for the podded peas recommended.) But back to the point. To me a pea, even mangetout or sugarsnap, is not a bean. There are no other veg except some peppers & the French beans. Whatever the title I'm sure it will be a pleasant change.

Yesterday PD brought in a couple of booklets by Heston Blumenthal for me to have & try out. I've been flipping through some of them. I just can't see me doing them. I don't want my fish pie covered with sand. I don't see the point of liquidising a pea soup & then passing it through a sieve a couple of times. I like a few whole peas in my soup for texture. I'm certainly not going to invest in syringes & blow torches. Life's dangerous enough without these extra hazards lying around. I admire the thoroughness & enterprise of the man, but I'm not sure how much I fancy eating some of Heston's food. As a home cook, I'm certainly unsure how much I fancy tackling some of his home cooking recipes. Though the Scotch eggs do look good & not too faffy....

No comments: