Sunday 12 February 2012

Church

I thought I'd go to church this morning. I haven't been for a while. I don't get on with the new vicar. Instead I've steadily read through the whole of Genesis. Before I started on the next book I thought I'd give my old church one more go. Maybe by now, the new vicar will have settled in more & have a bit more time for me & my needs. If I'm still wasn't happy with her, I would try another church a bit further away.

So what happens? We're back to freezing fog again. It has obviously rained a fair amount during the night & the Mean Machine, my electric scooter, doesn't like the wet. Is God trying to tell me something? Am I not supposed to go to church today?

Long ago, when I became disabled, I made an agreement with God. I would worship every Sunday, be at home or at church. If I was meant to go to church, God would ensure a parking space near the church so I could push myself inside. If I was meant not to go, bad weather would intervene. Sure enough most Sundays when my health was such that I would have been really overdoing things to get to church, the weather was bad. So is this some of the same?

Whatever the reason I stayed at home & started a steady read of another book of the Bible. This time I thought I would start with a book of the New Testament & St Matthew. I'm struck by how important ancestry was perceived - indeed it is in most earlier, largely non-literate societies even today - & how brief the description of the birth of Christ is in this version of the tale. I'll read on next week.

No comments: