Thursday 9 February 2012

Beware

I noticed our neighbour out, putting salt on his doorstep & drive. I didn't think much of it at the time.

Later in the morning, when I'd done the ironing, I thought I'd best check how the birds were doing for food. I discovered why my neighbour had been out with the salt. The rain that had been coming down all morning. But it had been landing on a sheet of black ice, so translucent you weren't aware of its existence until you put your foot down on it. I continued my way across the yard very gingerly. 

After that I popped into the garage for some wine. Nervously I looked at the step - definitely icy. Holding firmly to the door I stepped up, determined not to slide. Coming out, bottle in hand, I was even more nervous. I didn't want to break the bottle en route.

It was a relief to get back indoors - partially for the warmth, partially for the security underfoot. I can't see us going out today unless it turns warmer & there's no sign of that. The trip to the garage was far enough for me for today.

No comments: