Monday 6 February 2012

Going American

I seem to have an enormous bag full of small bags of leftover turkey stuffing in the freezer, which I'm trying to use up at the moment. I only have one tried & tested recipe to use it up in - Turkey Croquettes. I've tried varying the meat content from turkey to goose to chicken, but they still remain essentially the same - turkey croquettes.

The Fox moaned when I suggested yet more croquettes. This particular batch of stuffing seems high in meat content which makes the resultant croquettes rather dry. So I say why not look on the net & see if you can find some other recipes using up stuffing. I've got plenty of options for using up turkey. He duly looked. The next morning a dozen or so recipes appeared on the kitchen table for me look at.

So today we're trying one of these recipes - Casserole of Turkey with Rice. It's more of a pilaf really with some curry powder thrown in to add a bit of spice. My problem is that it is an American recipe. All its measurements are in terms of cups. I haven't stored my cooked meats & stuffing in cupfuls. I tend to put them in bags according to weights. In bags the meat has frozen in all sorts of odd shapes, impossible to measure into cup portions. I'm having to guess what the quantities should be. 

Anyhow the meat is now out of the freezer thawing out. I'm hoping the bags of turkey, turkey stuffing & ham will all thaw out in time for me to be able to measure into cups in time to get a bit more out if necessary. I won't actually be cooking until this evening. I'm noting down the weights for future reference in case I either keep this recipe or try some of the other recipes the Fox has found.

Wish me luck.

No comments: