Wednesday 30 November 2011

A venture out

For the first time since last Thursday, I ventured out, away from these premises. That's not to say I'm entirely well but I'm at the stage where a little activity will do no harm, & a change of scene is a boost to the morale.

We pop along to the Pub. PD is as pleased as can be. He doesn't venture out socially without family or us to hold his hand - metaphorically rather than literally - such is the effect of depression on him. The barman greets me with a cheery smile & asks if I'm better. I assure him I'm definitely on the mend.

Later Mr P turns up. He,too, is pleased to see me once more in the group. His query about my health is much more querulous & dubious. I don't think he can quite believe that this is me a lot better after nearly a week of illness. By this time I'm coughing & blowing fairly frequently. I assure him I am a lot better even if I am only at the stage most people get to at the peak of their colds. The Fox & I exchange glances & think if he thinks this is bad he should have seen me on Saturday.

Still the all important thing is I'm on the mend. The only worrying thing is the Fox is now coughing & blowing a bit, with a sore throat & cotton-wool filled head. I'm just hoping he isn't going down with it.

It was great to get out though. During my quarantine, the street scenes have changed. Many houses have put up their Christmas decorations. I suppose it is Advent now, but I feel December is quite early enough for such decoration, even for the shops. I expect many more lights & trees will be going up this weekend. We will not put ours up until nearer the date itself. I feel Christmas Eve is early enough, but the Fox does like to see the tree up a bit earlier than that. It helps him feel in more festive mood.

This afternoon, if we're both up to it, we're hoping to get to the supermarket. We seem to be running out of so many essentials, things like bread & cooking oil. Ready meals, too, are low. It really doesn't seem worth the effort of cooking much if one of us isn't up to tasting the result. It was wonderful to have that Normandy Pork last night - proper home cooked food. Nonetheless, while the germs hover around, it is reassuring to have something quick & easy to do. The Fox may well sink. I may well relapse once again. Either way it is useful to have something in that requires minimum effort.

No comments: