Tuesday 22 November 2011

Anticipation

I'm looking forward to dinner today. I've been looking forward to it since Sunday, when the idea for it first popped into my head.

On Sunday the Fox decided to cook us a salmon kedgeree for dinner. We only had a large 400g+ tin so he used half & put the rest in the fridge for later in the week.

My mind whirled back in time to when we were first married 36 years ago. It landed on a recipe for Salmon Fishcakes . I've always kept successful recipes from tins, magazines, leaflets etc & handwritten them in a book or file. The first such recipe I wrote down is this one for Salmon Fishcakes. We had it often in those early years of gaining some sort of culinary expertise.


And what is so special about this recipe that makes it so memorable? Apart from the memories already mentioned, it is the tomato sauce. This recipe I suspect came off the back of a Campbell's condensed tomato soup tin. Some soup, undiluted, goes in the fishcakes. Some soup, diluted with water, is served as a tomato sauce. The result is delicious.

I've made up the fishcakes. All breadcrumbed they're sitting in the fridge ready for frying up tonight.  Yum.


But first, before dinner, I'm off to the surgery. Blood pressure time. As I've already said I will be surprised if my blood pressure has gone down. After the trauma of Jean's death & its consequences, I feel very tense, stressed, pain-filled & tired. Some of the tension eased a bit yesterday when PD & Dick Gobble, Jean's husband, met & spoke to each other for the first time since that traumatic morning when Dick went round to PD's to tell him Jean had died & to convey her last wishes. Needless to say,  the encounter was full of  tension but, at least, that first meeting is over. Hopefully now things can only get easier..

 

No comments: