Saturday 5 November 2011

A change of plans

We were supposed to be going over to see Mr P's new restaurant this afternoon. It's not officially open today, but he wants to go over to do a few things by way of preparation & wants us to see the place at least, even if we can't get there to dine. I've just sent him a text cancelling. 

Last night the Fox came to bed hobbling. It's his bad leg playing up again. He was dragging it badly. Clearly he could do with a quiet weekend. I've noticed since his stroke, if he's under pressure his leg seems to play up more. We've certainly had enough stress of one sort or another this couple of weeks.

On top of that I seem to have pulled a muscle in my back badly. It seems to happen from time to time. I have seen the doctor about it a couple of times to be told it's just muscular, a reflection of being a wheelchair user. I have to admit there are times I'm aware I tend to sag a bit, usually to one side. The effort of sitting up straighter usually eases the problem, but only after a while.

Oh the creaks of old age!

So this morning I've hastily got out some meat for dinner. I had been thinking after seeing the restaurant Mr P might have fancied extending the visit elsewhere so I might not have felt up to cooking. Now I'm definitely cooking, or at least trying, assuming my back eases sufficiently.

I'm proposing to do a Lancashire hotpot. After three days of turkey, lamb should be a pleasing change. Not that the turkey was that bad. We were very pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed the Day 3 meal. Having sat in the fridge for nearly 48 hours, the flavours of the stew had rounded out. The extra cooking, while re-heating it, had softened the turkey yet more. The Fox had done a good job in Big Ears, the slow cooker. I wonder what culinary adventure he's planning for next week.

No comments: