Saturday 12 November 2011

Mixed news

Two pieces of news have happened since last I wrote, one good, one bad. I'll tell them in chronological order. As you may already have guessed, my mood is rather flat.

First, the Fox has finally got the results of his MRI scan. It seems they are nothing to worry about. He's got some hearing loss, yes. The tinnitus is likely to last as long as it lasts. There's no way of predicting how it will go. He may one day wake up & find it's gone; it may get worse. However, the important thing is there is no underlying serious cause. He's just like so many people, wearing out a bit early. Personally I'm beginning to think that is what growing older is about. I just hope the essential parts keep going longer than other parts. Now we await a further appointment at the hospital. They feel he may appreciate some counselling, learning some techniques to cope better with the tinnitus & an opportunity to answer any further questions he may have by then.

The not so good news has just happened, hence my subdued tone. Jean, Dick Swallow's wife, died peacefully in her sleep last night. She kept going long enough for her son to get over to have a last word with her. The worst of it is she's left a written note of wishes which Dick feels he must abide by. In this she has banned certain people from attending her funeral as she felt they'd had not given her sufficient support in the last year of her life. These include PD & Lin. PD was almost in tears as he told me. I hastily rang Dick to check if we were banned. We, it seems, are most welcome. In fact it is positively  hoped we will attend. I just hope our attendance doesn't cause ill-feeling with PD & Lin. Meanwhile Dick is also feeling bad as he regards both PD & Lin as good friends of his & doesn't want Jean's wishes to spoil that friendship. I can see we are delicate ground here.
 

No comments: