Tuesday 8 November 2011

Traditional British

I had been intending to venture out on the Mean Machine, my electric scooter, today. I was hoping to buy some fish. However, it's back to grey & damp here & my scooter doesn't appreciate such weather conditions. I'm having a re-think about what to cook. 

Instead, I'm getting some steak out of the freezer. I am somewhat bemused by these steaks. They are called "traditional British" steaks. Since when have "bullet steaks" been traditional British cuts? The recipe calls for  traditional "bullet steaks", "Denver steaks" or "flat-iron" steaks. To me none of these  cuts are traditional British. Sirloin, rump, fillet, rib-eye, braising yes, bullet no.

Before I bought them I asked our usual friendly farmer at the Farmers' market if he'd  heard of any of these cuts. He looked blankly back at me.

I then searched the net. As far as I can tell they may be traditional US cuts, but not British. Here such cuts seem to come under the catch-all label of "frying" steak.

Still, whatever variety of cut they are, we're going to try bullet steaks this evening. I'm going to put them briefly in a spicy oily marinade before frying them off. 

We're not, on the whole, great steak eaters. Hopefully the marinade mix, which doubles up as a dressing for the fried steaks, will give the meat a bit extra interest for our taste buds. We'll see.

But as far as I can see the only traditional British thing about today will be the weather. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. At least the temperature has risen above freezing point. 

No comments: