Monday 16 March 2009

Spring morning

It's a lovely spring morning. Mild & sunny. I'm half contemplating a venture into the garden. The lawn is finally just about dry enough to venture across. I find tackling some of the perennial weeds - the dandelions, brambles, nettles, celandine - easier at this time of year. They seem to come out of the soil more readily. It's also easier to get at them when most of the other plants are not burgeoning out yet. However, we're expecting a delivery today. If I'm up the back garden, I'll not hear the doorbell & they don't tend to think of trying the side gate to the back. I've already had a tidy of the front garden so there's nothing to do there.

I'm pleased to say the front is doing well. We've a fine display of crocuses. The herbs are coming back to life, looking stronger on the whole than last year. The fennel is full of fluffy greenery. The lemon balm is vibrantly yellow veined. The coriander & parsley is re-emerging. The mint is looking as though it may be spreading a bit this year. Everyone keeps telling us mint should be kept well contained as it spreads so. We have the solution. We just eat is faster than it grows! The marjoram has filled out over the winter months. At the moment I fear one of the rosemary bushes has been killed off by the frost & wind, but the others are okay. I'm still hoping it will come back to life as the weather improves. The sage seems to have done a good job of protecting the bay. Although some of the bay leaves are a bit brown, lower down there are plenty of fresh new shoots.

I do love spring & all the signs of new life. It seems such a positive time of year. The colours look so fresh & vibrant after the greyness of winter. Not that I'm entirely convinced we've seen the last of winter yet. I'm sure Jack Frost will make a few more return trips, but hopefully we're past the worse now.

No comments: