Tuesday 31 March 2009

Chance meeting

At last most things have found a home in the kitchen. It took us all day. By 5.30pm we decided it was time to see about some food. It had been impossible to prepare anything earlier, so we decided to go down to our local village pub. Part of our thinking was just to get away from the remaining chaos.

The Fox was about to sit down, having got us a round of drinks & the menus, when, lo & behold, our friends Fran & Den arrived. They'd been to the Pub hoping to catch us. When they saw no car there, they decided to try elsewhere. They were pleased to have found us & joined us for a meal.

It was a real pleasure to see them. Now we feel we're properly home. Over the meal there was much laughter as we described our reluctance to throw away. I hoard empty jam jars, cream & marg tubs; the Fox is a terror with cardboard boxes. Nonetheless, we have managed to do some throwing out.

I've finally decided to throw out a cheeseboard - the Fox always regarded it more as a cricket bat - & a chunk of wood with a hollow gauged out for paper clips etc. They were given to us as wedding presents by a couple of children then aged 7 & 10 who I had looked after for the summer months previously. I was so touched that they had gone to all that effort to make these presents that, even though they were pretty ugly & useless I've kept hold of them. Now, nearly 34 years later, I'm left wondering why.


1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I don't hoard, I quite simply don't throw things away!