Tuesday 3 March 2009

The legless duck

We're finally having the legless duck. This duck has been in our freezer for a year now. It's rather big to do as a quick meal after going out, so there it's stayed. Today the car has gone of its service so I'm anticipating a leisurely day spent at home, so I should be able to cope with a longer time spent cooking this evening..

Why,might you ask, is this duck legless? Last year I fancied having a go at a recipe that called for some duck legs. I looked everywhere but couldn't find duck legs. In the end a bought a whole duck & removed the legs. They were cooked then. The rest of the bird went into the freezer where it's stayed, haunting my memory.

So finally it's in the oven. It's roasting at the moment, then I'm going to make some ginger gravy to warm it up in. The gravy is flavoured with green ginger wine. The gravy poured over the cooked duck, coating it, & gently reheated for up to an hour. It is essential to cook it for so long so the gingery taste permeates the duck flesh. Delicious. I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments: