Tuesday 17 March 2009

Food for thought

I was going to have a go at the packing up some of the things in the kitchen yesterday, then I suddenly realised it's difficult to do so when I haven't decided exactly what we're going to eat & therefore what we're going to need between now & Monday. So it is I've spent some of this morning trying to decide on exactly what to have. I usually work on the basis of buying a range of foods & then deciding a day or two in advance precisely which meal to have when. If I'm running down stores, as now, I might just make a list of the ingredients that need to be used up eg fresh veg, half opened tins, then decide on a few things to use them up.

Today I'm going to make a quick pasta sauce using up the half tin of tomatoes & a pepper. Tomorrow will be a venison sausage casserole. Thursday we're off to see MK & Helen so we'll probably end up eating out. Sunday will be our traditional prawn stir fry. We always have this just before we go on holiday as it's such a great way of using up all variety of veg. That just leaves Friday & Saturday. A chicken & vegetable pie I think one day. As for the other I've no idea. An omelette perhaps to use up a few eggs.

The fridge really needs emptying. Although we're not getting a new fridge, it will have to be moved around when they put in the new kitchen & will obviously be easier for them if it is empty. We'll leave some milk, of course, for their tea & coffee. Anything else that's left will just have to be bagged up & taken with us. That's one advantage of going self-catering. At least, there will be a fridge there, so we can take all our containers of goose fat (excellent for roast potatoes) with us.

It will be a relief when the new units are in. No other work on the kitchen will be quite as disruptive. The decorating will be other bad phase but at least the contents will be able to stay in the cupboards & fridge. At the moment that sounds like a definite boon.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I feel exhausted at the thought of all that pre-planning!