Sunday 8 March 2009

Imagination

The banshees are back. The wind has been howling round the house all night. It's bright &, on the whole, dry today. I would have ventured to church but the wind is so great I fear my buggy, even with me on it, is likely to be blown over. I'm certainly likely to be frozen. So it is, I go to church by radio this morning.

The theme is imagination. I couldn't quite follow any religious significance to imagination but I was struck by what a wonderful thing it is. Without it, I'm not sure we'd have much appreciation of the wonders of the world around us. It gives us a sense of curiosity that stimulates us into new discoveries. Imagination is essential for creativity, not just in the arts world, but even in more prosaic, every day, invention. In science too. Without imagination, could we ever understand the concept of gravity or energy, for example? It's important in our understanding of one another too. With imagination comes wit that can bring such joy in our lives. Imagination enables us to envisage a better world & strive towards it, gives us hope in times of trouble. Above all it lifts our lives out of the mundane, giving them a richness that wouldn't otherwise be there.


No comments: