Saturday 12 January 2019

Sinking


Oh dear. The Fox is starting to blow. Despite our best endeavours he seems to be succumbing to my cold. I can see the next few days is going to be a case of which of us is feeling most able to cook. Everything else can be abandoned until a later date but we must eat.

With this in mind I’m under way with my sausage roll. The sausages are out of their skins. The leftover turkey is shredded. The cooked stuffing is mixed in. Now I just need to add some cranberry sauce & put the mixture into some ready rolled puff pastry. I’ve also peeled the spuds for the chips & peeled the sprouts ready to boil later. When I’m done here I’ll probably put the meat in the pastry ready to go in the oven this evening. At present the turkey & stuffing is still semi-frozen. I’d like them to thoroughly thaw before I do more.

I’m still blowing but I don’t feel any worse than yesterday. I’m hoping that means I can do a bit more & let the Fox relax to recover himself & concentrate on getting himself better.

I hate colds. They always seem to last so long - in my case sometimes for weeks, even months - & are such a bore. Rarely am I so ill that I’m oblivious of my surroundings. Yet the moment I try to do a bit more, then I seem to get worse again.

I sometimes think colds are Nature’s way of saying “You need to relax. If you won’t do it by yourself, I will force you to by giving you a cold.” I certainly was feeling dreadfully tired before I went down with this one. I think maybe this time we left it too late to have a break. It was difficult to find a time to get away for a few days what with the Fox’s hospital treatment & then Christmas. I’m still hoping we will manage a change of scene once this cold has gone.

No comments: