Saturday 19 January 2019

Chowder


I’m a little nervous about today’s dinner. Yesterday, at the club, much of the conversation was about a rather disastrous chowder our friends had had at another mutual friend’s home. They’d struggled through it & one at least had suffered from indigestion all night afterwards.

I’m making chowder for dinner today hence the nervousness.

The recipe is actually for a clam chowder but I was unable to find the required tins of clams around here. Indeed clams full stop. We tried various places with no luck. In the end I’ve decided to use tinned crab instead. The mixture is in the slow cooker slowly cooking away to soften the potatoes. Later on we will pop out to get some bread & milk, the former to accompany the chowder, the latter to make up for all the milk that’s gone in the chowder leaving us short for tea.

I’m just hoping we enjoy the meal now.

Certainly the magpie seemed to enjoy the bit of bacon fat & black pudding left over from yesterday’s meal, a Fox’s experiment of scallops, bacon & black pudding.

As you may realise from our renewed culinary enthusiasm & experimentation, we’re feeling much better now. The Fox seems over his cold. I’m still a bit blocked but I’m down to just a couple of tissues a day now, not the half box of I was on. We celebrated yesterday with me moving back onto the sofa, near the Fox, my legs once more comfortably stretched out on his lap, my toes nuzzling in, as we had something to drink, listened to some music & chuntered. At last we’re at the stage when we can feel a cuddle is definitely on the cards & we relish it.

No comments: