Monday 28 January 2019

Going veggie


These days, in this country, there seems to be a lot of pressure to go vegetarian for the sake of our health & the state of the world. We’ve always eaten a fair amount of veg. The idea of eating 5 fruit & veg a day hasn’t been a problem. We rarely eat less. But we have usually eaten a small amount of meat & fish too. The Fox still shudders at memories of going into the butcher’s to buy 2oz of minced beef for some pasties. We’re omnivores & feel it’s too late to change now.

That does not stop us having vegetarian meals some days. Today is one such. We’re having calzones, a sort of Italian style pasty. I’m using readymade tortillas rather than pastry. The filling is roasted vegetables – red onion, cherry tomatoes, courgette, red peppers - & cheese. There won’t be a vast amount of cheese as I have difficulty with cooked cheese. However, I will put the stated amount of mozzarella in as I find that mild enough cooked for me to eat. The mature cheddar I will be more sparing with as I tend only to taste salt when that is cooked. We will be having yet more veg to accompany the calzones, some chips & sprouts. Hopefully it will be tasty.

Tomorrow we will be back to chicken for dinner.

No comments: