Wednesday 2 January 2019

A busy restaurant


I put out some of the fat leftover from yesterday’s Honey Roast Gammon. By the time I’d had my breakfast, on the other side of the house from the bird-feeder, all had gone.

I put out some more fat while I prepared today’s dinner - making some burgers to grill tonight & peeling some spuds for chips. Soon I was aware of the furore outside. Some gulls had come for the fat. At the same time a flock of starlings arrived. The latter were determined to get the fat. They dive-bombed the gulls & harried them mercilessly until the gulls left the scene. The starlings then took it in turn to feast while the others stood guard for any returning gulls.

Again the feeder was soon cleared. I put the last bit of fat out. This time only the starlings came. The gulls had obviously concluded it wasn’t worth the aggro trying to eat at this restaurant. They presumably found another.

I’m pleased the starlings got the fat. I always prefer the smaller birds getting a good feed. Especially so, this very white morning. The shed thermometer said -11ºC. The water in the bird baths is frozen solid.  The small birds definitely need the fat to keep them warm on a day like this.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I'm always amazed how much brightness a squabble of starlings can bring to their food frenzy!