Thursday 10 January 2019

A few things to do


I’m still spluttering but I definitely feel on the mend. I’ve already got as parboiling some potatoes for dinner, Spicy Prawns & Chorizo. The Fox will probably cook the meal but that is because he usually does a better job of it than me. He evens enjoys doing it. However, I am thinking of getting back to cooking tomorrow. I’m looking forward to getting back to my kitchen. I love cooking & miss it, though I accept it isn't practical to cook when you have to stop to blow your nose or sneeze every couple of minutes as I have been doing.

I’m hoping to get out to the local shops later today. I need to go to the library with some books that are due & to return some jigsaws & get some new ones to do. I also would like to pop into the village butcher’s to get some pork sausages for Saturday’s dinner, now that I feel I will be up to cooking them.

The third job is to find a birthday card to send to one of my cousin’s widower, D. I’ve had a fair amount of contact with him since his wife, A, died. However, I’ve not heard from him for a while. I wasn’t particularly worried about that. I felt he’d just moved on since A’s death & was probably distracted by life. However, this year we’ve had no Christmas card. He’s always been keen on cards – even rang me for the addresses of various family members so he could keep in contact with A’s family – so this silence is worrying. I tried phoning him to be told this line has been discontinued. I’m left wondering is he ill, dead, moved house, just changed to using a mobile phone full time, or what? I know he has family in Australia. He also has stepdaughters from previous marriages. He could well have moved to be nearer them. I appreciate he may have moved on & not want to keep contact with A’s family any more. Fair enough, but is that what this is? I just want to know then I can leave him alone if that’s what he wants. Anyhow it’s his birthday next week so I thought I’d send a card. I’ll put our address on the back of the envelope & the phone number inside. Hopefully any new person living in the house will either send the card back, or send it on to D’s new address or to whoever sold the house on his behalf. He is in his late 70s so could well be in a care home or hospital, either way we could visit if he’d appreciate a visit. Whatever else I would like to know. I would like to no longer be worrying & just hoping for the best.

No comments: