Saturday 5 January 2019

Pulling out


While the potatoes were boiling ready to sauté this evening, I popped out to do a bit in the garden.

I’m pulling out some of the mint. I see some new season’s growth is already appearing. At this time of year the mint isn’t too abundant & the soil is pretty soft after all the rain of late.

I’m doing this for three reasons. Firstly the mint is spreading very rapidly, strangling the lavender that is in the same bed. The lavender provides colour & attracts the insects so I’d sooner see that thrive.

I’ve moved the herbs from the front garden to this horseshoe raised bed. It’s nearer to the kitchen & saves having to go out of the front door every time I need some herbs. It also means the front garden can take on more colour. At the time I filled the front garden with herbs, the back garden had not been re-landscaped & there was no real space near the house to grow herbs which I regard as essential in my cooking.

The third reason is that I found last year, when I had a similar pull-out of mint, the mint that remained seem more vigorous & fresher.

It seems to be a win win situation. So during the winter months I try to spend a few minutes pulling out some mint roots & anticipate the vibrant flavour of fresh mint in the spring.

No comments: