Thursday 15 February 2018

Going mad!


There are times I begin to think I’m losing my marbles as I get older.

Yesterday we did the big food shop. On the way home I decided which of the various planned meals I would do today. I decided on a version of spag bol. I might as well use some of the minced beef I’d just bought before I put it into the freezer. I’m intending to do to minced beef meals this week – spag bol & tacos. (How’s that for a mixture of culinary traditions, Italian & Mexican?) While I still had my coat on I went round to the freezer & got out the condensed soup I was going to use as a basis for the spag bol. I then got on with dinner.

While I was waiting for the pie, carrots & potatoes to cook, I had a look at my spag bol recipe. Ahh! I hadn’t bought any mushrooms! And the Fox had even noticed them on special offer. I read on. “Chopped tomato” it said. I’d bought a tin of chopped tomatoes, now I realised it meant a chopped fresh tomato. What had I been thinking about when I’d written the list? The condensed soup hastily returned to the freezer. It had barely started to thaw so that should be okay. I’d bought some fresh tomatoes to go in the tacos so I don’t need to buy any more. A spare tin of tomatoes in the store cupboard never goes amiss. Instead I put some dried split peas into soak overnight. We’re having a spicy pea soup for dinner, with plenty of bread & butter & possibly a pizza later in the evening if we’re still hungry.

Today we’re going off to Carnforth in hunt of some good diced leg of lamb for the casserole the Fox is going to make tonight for tomorrow. The lamb at Booth’s supermarket is definitely nicer than the lamb elsewhere around here. While I’m there I will maybe buy some mushrooms, or else I’ll wait until next week before cooking the spag bol. All the minced beef has gone into the freezer now.

I just can’t help wondering why the mushrooms weren’t on my list. Utter stupidity! Still at least my Chicken & Vegetable Pie was a success, as good, & tasty, as ever. Clearly that disaster of a meal last November was an aberration, another day when my mind must have gone wondering off to who knows where.



No comments: