Tuesday 20 February 2018

Flu

We’ve now discovered why the Fox is off his food. He’s down with ‘flu. Over the weekend he sweated & shivered. He’s still not eating much but he is managing to get up part of the day, even if most of the day is spent sprawling on the settee, covered with a blanket, half dozing.

Meanwhile I try to plod on, keeping my activities at a minimum. It’s at times like this I realise just how disabled I am. Without him in the background with the supporting hand at times, I would be at a loss.

The situation wasn’t helped yesterday. The care company rang on Friday to tell me my paid carer wasn’t able to come at the usual time, could she come on Monday? I’d agreed. So I waited. And waited. A phone call came 10.30 to apologise for being late but she’d been held up. She was on her way. By 11.30 & still no sign I gave the office a ring. She was stuck in Lancaster traffic. Much as I know the traffic in Lancaster is horrific at the moment with the Greyhound Bridge, the only road bridge across the River Lune out of Lancaster being closed, it didn’t alter the fact that she was an hour and a half late. Presumably she would have other clients booked in after me. I just cancelled her, giving her chance to get back to her rota times. So no home help this week, just when I’ve been half wondering whether I should ask for more, with the Fox being ill, & maybe have someone cook & wash up for me as well.

My only consolation is that, having had his flu jab earlier this winter, the Fox doesn’t seem to be as bad as he was last time he had ‘flu. Admittedly I thought the jab was meant to prevent you even getting ‘flu. Fortunately, so far, I’ve shown no signs of going down with it.

No comments: