Saturday 10 February 2018

And so it continues


Yesterday I was just got up on my way to the kitchen & my ironing, when I saw a familiar van arrive. The men had come to scarify & aerate our lawns. I went to open the gate for them. I thought I’d best wait until they were gone before I started the ironing. Nonetheless I did get as far as setting up the ironing board, putting water in the iron & sorting the items in piles according to the heat they needed for ironing. It’s just as well I waited as the men soon came along to let me know they were done & present me with the bill.

Still time to iron. It wasn’t yet 10am. I got started. I’d barely started when there was a knock on the door – our gardener & her husband come to continue with the pressure washing of the patio. So off went the iron as I found the key to the garage to get them started.

No sooner had I got started when there was another knock. Our gardener wanted to wash the green off the garage door. Did we have a bucket, a scrubbing brush, some cleaning solution & some scrap cloth? I got that sorted.

I started ironing a third time. A few items on & the doorbell rings – a delivery of something we’d ordered on-line.

I return to the ironing a fourth time, wondering by then whether it was even worth trying to get the ironing done. Nonetheless I continued on & managed to get it all done – worthy of a celebrate with a nice pot of hot tea.

It was just as well there wasn’t a lot of ironing this week & that the Fox had prepared dinner which was to be served with spaghetti so I had no food preparation to do this morning. It would have been a nightmare trying to make today’s cottage pie with such disruption.

By the evening, after dinner & a strong red wine accompanying it, I was ready for bed before 7pm, not to arise until nearly 8am. All this getting up & down to attend to people had exhausted me.



No comments: