Monday 29 January 2018

Bird count


Yesterday I took part in the national bird count. I nearly forgot about it this year – too much worrying about the Fox & his health.

The results were quite different from usual. A whole flock of starlings appeared. Our usual small birds – the sparrows & tits – made swift flights across the garden, obviously intimidated by the larger birds especially when they included a couple of crows this year. Indeed the small birds were too swift for me to identify the variety of tit or sparrow & so I did not include them in the results. It wasn’t helped when I noticed a black & white cart climbing along the branches of a neighbouring tree – a favourite nesting place for the magpies. This cat, in full stalking mode, seemed to get onto some very thin looking branches. I was surprised they didn’t break under his weight.

No comments: