Wednesday 31 August 2011

Robert Robinson

Well, I'm back to waiting, yet again. There are times when I begin to think that is all that life is about. Waiting. This time I'm waiting for the man from the garage, coming to sort out our indicator problem.

Meanwhile I've been listening to "A Tribute to Robert Robinson" on BBC Radio 4. I was sorry to hear he'd died when he'd died earlier this year. I'd heard of it at the time. I was not entirely surprised as I'd realised his long absence from broadcasting was due to ill-health & I'd also realised he must be getting on a bit.

I suppose I have to admit I've always had a certain affection for this erudite man, someone who knew how to use words & sentences. I knew him primarily as quiz master in programmes such as "Call my Bluff", "Ask the Family" & "Brain of Britain". I'd never realised why I'd appreciated him so much in that role until someone commented that Robert Robinson never forgot that quizzes were about having fun. He never put people down in such shows, no matter how far wrong their answers were. He always seemed to try to make participants as much at ease as he could in what, for them, was a very stressful, unaccustomed position. So many question masters seem to sneer at contestants, commenting how stupid they are sometimes, which I find a very irritating, unpleasant characteristic. This could never be said of Robert Robinson.

I will admit I was surprised to discover he was a Liverpudlian by birth. I would never have guessed it. He never struck me as being particularly northern. 

He will be missed.

No comments: