Tuesday 2 August 2011

Going professional

Another easy meal today. The next item on the list of freezer contents is smoked salmon. I've decided it's going in a kedgeree so all I need to do by way of preparation is boil some eggs. This has duly been done.

Mr P, the retired music teacher, is back from is hols & full of enthusiasm for his new enterprise. He's decided to set up in the catering business. He's found some premises to open up as a restaurant. A friend, who is an interior designer has drawn up some designs & he is now excitedly planning his re-decoration work, most of which he intends to do himself. The idea is for the restaurant to only open a couple of days a month as a dining club, pre-booked tables & meals only. Most of the time he anticipates using the kitchen for preparing food for weddings, parties etc, held elsewhere.

I have to admit, much as I love cooking (a fact I'm sure you will all have realised by now!), the last thing on earth I would want to do is open up a restaurant. I know they reckon every good home cook has that dream but it has never been so for me. To cook for two, or up to about 6, on a regular basis is enough for me. I think that is part of the reason my enthusiasm for "Masterchef" died. It's become so aimed at people aspiring to work in the professional kitchen. I suspect doing a hundred covers a day for a month would cure me of any pleasure in cooking. It would become just a chore, something that has to be done, no great pleasure or source of relaxation. No, it would not be the life for me, even if I was physically able to cope with it. But good luck to Mr P in his new enterprise. I hope it doesn't disappoint him, or his guests.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I just hope that Mr P's dream doesn't turn out to be a nightmare! I'd have thought the business rates, for the restaurant part of the premises, would be rather prohibitive for such limited use!

Like you, my interest in 'Masterchef' disappeared some time ago for precisely the same reason!