Wednesday 17 August 2011

Plans for a quiet day

Big Ears, the slow cooker, is on the loose again. The Fox is making a chilli con carne. This means I have a lazy morning.

We did the food shopping yesterday, so the only tasks I have to do is divide up the minced beef that hasn't gone in the chilli, & update my freezer contents list. Easy.

It's nice to have a quiet morning, especially as the sun is shining so I may get out to tidy the garden a bit after the ravages of the wind & rain we've had of late.

My latest garden thrill is the appearance of dots of bright orange in the deep shade under some of our evergreen trees. It's crocosmia, now coming into full bloom.

Where my endeavours will go will be in the front garden. Unfortunately the fennel seems to be at funny angle. I don't know whether it can be made more upright again. As for the curry plant, it looks as though someone sat in the middle of it. I suspect that will be a case of judicious pruning. It's getting rather overgrown anyhow so that won't harm. I'll also plant out the coriander plant we bought yesterday. We'll see if this time we can get to it before the snails do.

This afternoon we're aiming at a shoe shop. The one thing I need before we go on holiday is some new sandals. My present ones are decidedly tatty & starting to fall apart. I hate shoe shopping. I always come back feeling like some grotesque clown with great clapper feet. Feet do seem to be getting bigger these days, so my size 7 don't stand out as much as they did in my youth. Nonetheless the choice does still tend to be limited & it's very rare I can find something stylish as well as comfortable. We'll see. Wish me luck.

No comments: