Monday 1 August 2011

Culinary exploits

Angie's in for a surprise today. She usually finds food prepared ready for dinner in the evening, but not so today. I'm having a couple of days off cooking. The Fox usually cooks on Sunday. By the time I've changed the bed & sorted out the washing, my Sunday afternoon chores, I'm usually past it so he cooks. And yesterday it was a beautiful spicy but succulent prawn curry. Today it's the turn of the wok as we go Chinese.

One of the joys of emptying the freezer a bit is that you discover long-forgotten treasures. Today we're tackling a duck breast. Yes I did say a duck breast. One good thing about so many stir-fries is that you don't need a lot of meat or fish. By the time the breast is cut into strips to cook, we shouldn't realise how little there is. And in all honesty it's not so little. I have weighed the breast & discovered it weighed 8oz, not a bad quantity for two. It would just look rather pathetic if we cooked it whole & then cut it in half.

 We're hoping to do the big shop later this week, tomorrow probably. Then we will be back to planned meals. The decision of what to do with smoked salmon, the next item on the freezer list, will wait a bit. But I'm looking forward to it since the salmon is from our local smokehouse & quite delicious.

No comments: