Tuesday 3 August 2010

A food hunt

As we left the Pub yesterday, Al, our gardener, called out he would be at our place today. Talk about wishful thinking & tempting fate. Needless to say it's been raining all morning. I somehow doubt we'll see Al today.

However, we are contemplating a quick trip to Glasson Dock. This small village the other side of Lancaster has one great attraction for us - the Smokehouse. They smoke there all manner of foods, from the obvious of salmon (which we're hoping to buy) to duck and even prawns. On top of that they usually have a good selection of game, some fabulous pates & some wonderful chocolates. Admittedly they are due to attend Lancaster market tomorrow & we will have to go into Lancaster tomorrow for my medical, but it would be a bit of trip out & a distraction from my anxiety of today. I admit, though, my enthusiasm for the trip is waning a bit as I hear the rain slashing on the window. Still maybe it will stop in time to go out this afternoon.

We're certainly going to make the effort to get over to Booth's supermarket, either in Lancaster on the way back from Glasson, or in Carnforth, a quieter trip. I'm on the hunt for some wild mushrooms to have with the fillet steak salad we're having for dinner today. How's that for a last fling of extravagance?!

I could also do with buying some peaches. I bought some when last we went to the shop specifically for a salsa to accompany some fish. Unfortunately the fruit ripened faster than I got around to buying the fish, so I just ate them. It's ages since I last bought fresh peaches. I thoroughly enjoyed them as the juice gushed down my chin, so I think I'll get some more if only for eating. It's strange how you sometimes forget just how delicious some things can be.

No comments: