Tuesday 31 August 2010

Consideration

Readers of the Fox's blog will already know what a thoroughly enjoyable evening we had yesterday to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. What could be better than an excellent meal, a good bottle of bubbly, mellow sounds & good, loving, company?

When PD rang yesterday to congratulate us, I told him about all the noise we'd had to endure on the night before.

" But it was Sunday,"" he spluttered.

" That doesn't make any difference these days," I commented. " We live in irreligious days."

I have to confess I don't entirely regret the passing of the deadly quiet Sundays of my youth, so wonderfully captured in an episode of " Hancock's Half Hour". Then there was literally nothing to do, apart that is, from church. No shops, no TV, nothing. My usual Sunday was church in the morning, then doing the school homework I should have done before. (I always tended to leave homework to the last minute. There were more enjoyable distractions to do over a weekend.) Even when TV started to happen on a Sunday afternoon, there was usually a sport option & my father's passion for that took priority.

No, I don't regret that there are more things to do these Sundays. And I don't want to force my religious views on other people. But I do think they should have shown more consideration whatever the day, and especially night, may be, the more so when it was a Sunday when they could have been insulting someone else's religious views.

No comments: