Tuesday 10 August 2010

A change for the worse

It's small things that really irritate you.

Yesterday the Fox popped along to the pet shop for some more wild bird food. They sell it by the kilo in heat sealed plastic bags.

So this morning I go to feed the birds. As usual I put the feeder in a carrier bag - experience has taught me it's easier that way otherwise seed always overspills everywhere. I fight with the heat seal as usual. A bit of seed comes out, some into the feeder, some in the bag. I try to move the hand position.

At this point the seed bag splits in two, a great tear down the length of it - a kilo of bird food all over the stone wall, cascading down to the fall. Well, I'm sorry the birds aren't having all that in one day. They probably wouldn't want that much anyway & it would encourage rats & other vermin just leaving it there. So I then spend a while scraping up as much as I can.

Now, why can't they just use a heavier gauge plastic bag to fill with seed, something a bit easier to use to pour the seed straight into the feeder? They used to use paper bags, so much easier & what's more you could put the empty bag in for recycling! Instead these plastic bags seem to be getting ever more flimsy & subject to splitting vertically. Grr...

No comments: