Tuesday 18 August 2009

Getting back to normal

Life is slowly getting back to normality, just in time for us to disrupt it again next month when we go off to Italy. I thought today was going to be chance to get in the garden for a bit. The Fox is cooking - a Thai red curry - so there's no food to prepare. I've more or less finished reading my Italian guidebook. I've found all manner of wonders to visit, some of them even wheelchair accessible. Apart from learning a bit more of the language, I feel I've done about all I can by way of preparation for the holiday. I quite expect we won't get to a fraction of the places I fancy. Indeed our present state of exhaustion makes me wonder if we'll even get beyond Pompei itself. Hopefully a bit of warm sun & our sense of curiosity & wonder will revitalise us when we get there. And if it doesn't, no great loss, as long as we come back refreshed.

So having cleared my mind of these preparations, & after a couple of essentially dry, if very windy days, I thought I might venture into the garden for a little this morning. Now it's raining & I'm stuck inside once again. Our new plants look happily settled in. The globeflowers have had all their petals blown off, but at least there are some new buds which hopefully will provide a patch of gold soon. The hydrangea is still getting bluer & yet more buds are appearing. The bark mulch has largely floated off in the lake that appeared last week. I see this morning lots of green shoots of weeds starting to appear. I think we're going to have to find something heavier to put down by way of mulch if we're ever to keep on top of the weeds.

It's good to be home. Last week lasted at least two weeks in our consciousness. Two funerals in one week is too much, especially when one isn't local. It's been emotionally as well as physically sapping, but it's over. Now we have chance to recover ourselves a bit, then it's Italy here we come.

No comments: