Thursday 6 August 2009

Affirming life

We're slowly getting ourselves together. These few days have been a blur of loss & grief. And yet, in the midst of this, there is an urge to get together with fellow mourners, to share stories & memories. People rarely spoken to before, suddenly start to open up. It's really quite life-affirming.

Today, the sun is shining. The Fox is doing the cooking so I'm having an easy morning, escaping to Italy via our new guidebook. I'm really looking forward to exploring the ancient antiquities of both Roman & Greek worlds. (At school I studied both Latin & Ancient Greek so the classical world I've read & studied much.) The scenery in the area we're going to sounds fabulous. So far I've only read about Naples & its immediate surroundings. The next chapter takes me south a bit, to Pompei & Herculaneum.

Then this afternoon, if the sun keeps shining, we're hoping for a stroll along the prom to our village pub, before strolling back for dinner. It's looking hopeful at the moment that we'll mnage to do that. But meanwhile I may try a bit of Italian language, explore more Italy, maybe even escape into the garden for a while.

No comments: