Wednesday 26 August 2009

Dark & wet

It was good to see Helen, MK's widow, at the Pub yesterday. Unfortunately there was another post funeral reception there. All that black brought back memories she doesn't need right now. She seems to be bearing up well, though she clearly has some raw edges. A few tears had to be blinked away. That's inevitable. We're having our last-Monday-of-the-month meal next week. I'm glad to say both widows, Helen & Linda, are hoping to be there. I'm glad they feel our little group is able to offer a little support & love, as they try to adjust to their new lives, without their much loved husbands.

I didn't get around to writing my blog yesterday mainly because I decided to venture down to the shops on the Mean Machine, my electric scooter, in the morning. It took rather longer than anticipated. When I came out of Morrisons, the skies let loose. Great stair-rods of water descended. I waited a while for the rain to stop, chatting with the other waiters.

Eventually it stopped & I set off. I got as far as the shelter of Aldi, still within sight of Morrisons, before it rained again. This time I decided to put my cape on. This huge thing covers not just me but most of the Mean Machine too. Again when the rain stopped I ventured on, across to the prom.

Soon it was raining again. I followed a cyclist into a shelter. He turned out to be a tourist, staying on a narrow-boat on the nearby canal. Once more it stopped & we both set off. It didn't take long for the cyclist to disappear into the distance.

Then it started raining again. The cyclist came back, shouting out he was giving up & going back. By this time, home was nearer than any other shelter so I persevered.

The journey had taken a couple of hours with all the stops. The really frustrating thing was looking across the Bay and seeing blue skies & land bathed in sunshine. I supposed they had probably felt the same earlier on. When I had been going to the shops, it was our side of the Bay that was bathed in sun & theirs covered with black clouds & great waterspouts.

Still I'm telling myself our new bog plants should be happy. Especially as it has been raining heavily all morning today.


1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I was pleased to note at the end that even the darkest cloud may have a silver lining!