Saturday 22 August 2009

The blister mystery

As I was eating dinner on Thursday I suddenly noticed a blister had appeared on my middle finger. I pondered on this. Why should it have appeared? I could think of no time that I had burnt or trapped it, so why should a blister have appeared?

By the time I got up on Friday the blister had grown yet more. But why? I could get no further on that conundrum. I got on with preparing dinner, feeling quite anxious when I made the pastry for the bacon flans in case the blister burst & oozed into the pastry itself.

From time to time, as the day went on, my mind returned to the riddle of the blister. Blisters just don't appear without cause. And I hadn't had any accidents recently, or if I had they were so slight as not to be memorable & so unlikely to have caused a blister.

Come the evening, I got the kitchen scissors out to dice the bacon up for the flans. Instantly I realised the scissors were pressing uncomfortably on the blister. Then I remembered. When I had been boning & dicing the lamb on Thursday morning, I'd used those same scissors. Some of the fat was very thick & hard. Almost certainly this had been the cause.

So you can imagine my startled amazement, when I sat down to eat the flans half an hour later & noticed the blister had deflated. Even now there's just a small red circle where the blister had been, with a small ridge of skin along one edge. Why it should have disappeared so quickly I don't know. That's another mystery to solve.

PS the great weight that was weighing down on me on Thursday finally lifted that evening. I'm once more feeling like myself. We opened & enjoyed a bottle of rose wine to celebrate.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

pleased to read that the cloud has lifted and I became intrigued by the blister saga - strange mechanisms of the body!