Friday 28 August 2009

Bright spot

Yesterday the sun shone. I couldn't stay in on such a rare day, so I decided to get out the Mean Machine & venture off to the Farmers' Market the other side of Morecambe, a 6 mile return trip, the furthest I've ever been in the Mean Machine. I'm glad to say it coped with the distance fine. The three mile there took me 45mins. It was quite a trip.

The first thing that struck me as I rounded the slight rise between us & the prom was the sheer number of windmills there now are on the other side of the Bay. The sun glinted on their white blades. As I made my way along the prom more & more windmills emerged from behind the folds of the Lakeland fells.

Coming back from the market I went along parts of the prom I've not ventured along before. In Morecambe there is a scheme called the "Tern Project". In this scheme the theme of birds - the Bay is famed for its birds, especially as a migratory stop-off place - is used to beautify Morecambe. So it is a couple of roundabouts have bird sculptures on. Railings have flights of birds. The posts outside Morrisons are topped with birds. Seats have birds on the backs. Along the section of the prom, new to me, was a fence with various wrought iron birds - huge cormorants, great curlews, etc. There was a set of short scenes portraying a peregrine falcon chasing, & subsequently catching a smaller wader. It was quite fascinating as some of the power of the falcon, the fear of the prey, the speed of flight, was captured.

It was good to see people enjoying themselves in the sun. Young families on the sand, buckets & spades at the ready, castles & dams being built. People cheerily waving & greeting one another, even complete strangers. Such a contrast with the gloom that has hung over everyone the last couple of days both metaphorically as well as literally.

Today we're back to winds, greyness & wet, a regular feature this summer. Maybe September will bring a bit more sun. It should for us at least, as we fly off to Italy. We're counting the days.

No comments: